What Is a Mormon?
Alright, you’re probably here because you were curious about the “Mormon” religion and wanted to know a little bit more. If you wondering what the Mormons are all about, you’ve come to the right place. I decided to put this little website together to tell you all of the main points of the LDS church. “What’s the LDS church,” you might be asking…
Definition of a Mormon: A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
That’s right. The actual name of the church that is referred to as the Mormon church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since the name’s just a little bit long, it’s often called the LDS church.
And just who am I?
Your next question is probably who I am, and why I think I’m good enough to tell you about the church. Well, here’s the quick run-down: My name’s Jason. I live in Portland Oregon. I’ve been LDS all my life, graduated from BYU a few years back, and served a mission in Hong Kong. The point of this site is to give you a simple overview of the LDS church, and if you read each and every page (there’s really not too much to read here), you’ll have a solid foundation of what the church is about.
If you want to know a little bit more about me for whatever odd reason, you can read more here. I’ll also tell you more about why I’ve decided to stay with this church, even though it expects so much of its members.
So here’s what you’ll get at this site. You’ll get the straight up facts about the church. If you want to learn what the LDS religion is, the best person to ask is someone who’s of that faith. You wouldn’t ask a Muslim what the Catholics believe, and I don’t think that makes sense for our religion either. Besides, there are a lot of people out there who try to misrepresent what we believe. I’ll give you the straight up truth in every case. I’m not going to try to sugar coat anything or hide any parts of the church or what we believe, because that’s just not who I am.
What makes the LDS church so special?
Lots of people try to ask me what makes the LDS church different from other churches. That’s a tough question to answer because there are lots and lots of differences, and it can’t be boiled down into one sentence. I’ll tell you what we have in common is that we all believe in Christ and in the Bible. Sure, we might read the book differently, but the LDS church accepts the King James version of the Bible. Here’s a quick run-down of how the church came about:
- Jesus Christ is our Savior and died for our sins. He organized his church while he was on the earth.
- Shortly after his death two millennia ago, he visited the Native Americans in ancient America. Their record is known as the Book of Mormon.
- Christ’s church fell apart and fractured into many other churches in the centuries following his death, and important truths were lost.
- Joseph Smith, the church’s first prophet, was called to restore the lost church in modern times. He also translated the Book of Mormon into modern English.
Here are a few of our key doctrines that set our church apart:
- Jesus is the Christ and saves all who will be saved through his atonement.
- The modern church has prophet and apostles, just as the old church did.
- Revelation works the same old way it did in Biblical times. The same goes for miracles. God is still just as much God as he ever was.
- There are more scriptures than just the Bible. These include the Book of Mormon and modern day revelations.
- We have temples, just like in old times. The operation of modern temples, however, is much different than the operation of ancient temples under the law of Moses.
- We lived as spirits before we came to this earth. Eternity extends in both directions.
- The afterlife has more to it than just heaven and hell. Heaven has levels, or degrees, which we call kingdoms.
- The purpose of this live is to grow to become more like our perfect God.
- In the afterlife, over the course of the eternities, those who are valiant can become like Him.
Well, that’s it in a nutshell. You have the whole rest of this site to sort through and learn about this church. I hope you find all of this useful!